SAARC Minutes for July 12th, 2019
10 Members present
Called to order 7:27 by Vice President Tom Buchanan VE6ARG
Minutes from last meeting motion by Alex 2nd by Norm to be accepted passed
Treasurer's report $ XXXX in the bank cheque made out for the Port A Potty rental just needs to be signed.
Repeater Committee Blair turned power from 15 watts to 45 watts and looking for 2 new RV Deep Cycle battery's just in case ours are bad.Still having a noise issue
Field day was a big success had a good turn out made 89 contacts one on 2 meters
Big thanks to Tom Jr for the generator Kevin for getting food and other things ready Kevin,Norm,Austin,Alex and Jen for there help.
Thank you card will be sent to Farming Smarter for the use of there field.
Norm and Austin brought to our attention that Team Lethbridge Waterton Cycle asking if we can help with radio communications for there July 27/19 Waterton Cycle
2019 bike ride from the Great Canadian Barn Dance to Waterton in support of the MS Society of Canada. Contact Rob VE6XMB@rmcmillan.ca for more information.
Minutes SAARC June 14th, 2019
Held at new location - Excel Flight Training Inc. Lethbridge Airport.
9 members present
Called to order by Cory VE6COR @ 7:31
Mins from May 13/19 accepted
A big thanks to Alex VE6WFD for getting us a regular place to meet..
Treasurers report $ xxxx in the bank
Repeater Report Norm VE6NFW paid $ 90.00 for old repaired antenna.
Blair VE6AGH Norm VE6NFW Austin VE6QBD and Brian VE6LAY serviced the repeater battery's.One cell is using more water then the rest. Blair
VE6AGH will turn the power up and see if the battery will get weaker.
Insurance papers all set to be sent Cory VE6COR will get the amount for next meeting
Fox Hunt No Report
Field Day All set to go Food,Equipment and port a potty's
Steps for life went well
Around the room Report
Cory VE6COR Has a new VHF antenna he can now hit the club repeater on his hand held on 5 watts.Good news he found and ordered a new talking Watt and SWR meter
Brian VE6LAY Calls in on Sunday morning club net.
Tom VE6TRM Hosting Club Sunday mornings Net going to work the bike run.
Rob VE6XMB Is working hf digital olivia using 30 watts.
Wayne VE6WEK Is a net controller
Blair VE6AGH working the nets.
Alex VE6WFD Made his first VHF contact
Tom VE6ARG Repaired older radio equipment trying different balun construction and end line feeds.
Norm VE6NFW working the nets..even had his company who are hams call in.
New Business Patches and Hats on going
100 mile bike ride is going to have Club volunteers provide communications
9 new member's
Christmas party will be at North Side Luigis early part of December.
Motion for adjourn Tom VE6ARG @ 8:30
Minutes SAARC May 13th, 2019
8 members present
Called to order 7:41
Approval of minutes from last meeting
Treasurer's report $ XXXX
Repeater committee report $ XXXX Battery's need to be serviced. No bill from Spencer to date.
Insurance on going
Fox Hunt nothing to report
Field Day nothing to report
Steps for Life went well
Around the room members activity:
Cory VE6COR Working UHF got a nice used antenna at the flea market
Elwyn VE6AQR Needs help to fix his antenna
Blair VE6AGH Repaired old cam antenna and is now for sale
Tom VE6ARG Having fun getting a old 117 transceiver working active on SK,AB and BC nets.
Renze VE6DC Working in his garden already getting vegetables from his green house.Got a new 2 meter radio
Alex VE6WFD Working the net and found his radio equipment making plans for his antenna
Norm VE6NFW Works the cam net..still waiting to get his radio back.
Brian VE6LAY My son Chris and I installed 2 meter ic fm radio with a whip antenna in my car.
Tom VE6ARG will send a thank you card to Senior center for having the flea market and Radio World for the door prizes.
Got 6 new members at the flea market table the club had set up.
Alex VE6WFD will see if we can have our meeting on Friday night at the Lethbridge Airport Training Center.
Tom VE6ARG looking into club hats,pins and patches
Xmas party 50 people ? around $ 20.00 each ? buffet at the Dynasty Restaurant Alex's VE6WFD wife is looking into this.
Motion to adjourn @ 8;48 Tom VE6ARG 2nd Brian VE6LAY
Minutes SAARC April 8th, 2019
13 members present
Cory VE6COR called the meeting to order 7:40pm
Motion to accept last meeting Mins. 1st Tom VE6TRM 2nd Tom VE6ARG
Treasures report $x,xxx.xx
Repeater comity Spencer VE6SXR along with Blair VE6AGH replaced the antenna with a new Hustler Base Model G6-144B Vertical Antenna.
work still to be done service the battery's and repair the old antenna then put up for sale.
Cub Insurance On going.
Fox Hunt Plan to have a night to make hand held antenna
Field Day 1st plan working details out for a farm site close to town.. back up plan Police Lake
Steps for life volunteers so far Blair,Geoff,Cory,Riley,Rob,Tom and Norm.
Round Table Cory VE6COR Nothing to report
Brian VE6LAY Nothing new trying to get in on Sundays call in.
Kevin VE6KVV Almost ready to put up his antenna
Blair VE6AGH Active on 80 and 40 meters
Spencer VE6SXR Nothing to report
Ross VE6RMO Active on 2 meters
Rob VE6XMB Working digital modes very happy with his contacts
Tom VE6TRM Active on a few nets.
Tom VE6ARG Working 80 and 160 meters Working on Baluns and members radio equipment.
Geoff VE6LSX Working 2 meter net
Spencer VE6SXR Dug out his radio equipment ..informed us of Fred VE6UBG becoming a silent Key.
Norm VE6NFW made some wood hand held radio stands.Working on getting information from RAC.
Mel Works VHF-UHF likes working 17 meters Wants to get more clubs to start working together. Rob will be a club relay.
New Business We had reps Mel and Ross from Southern Alberta Emergency Radio Gild telling us about a new radio command trailer being set up.
Still looking for a new place to hold club meeting
There will be a sale at the LSCO Amateur Radio Club Saturday May 4/19 at the LSCO room A at 12:30
Tom VE6ARG will have a table set up
Meeting adjournment 9:07pm
Minutes SAARC March 11th, 2019
Call to order: 7:37
8 people in attendance
Minutes adopted as read
Business from the minutes – Flea market in Calgary in April
No financial report
Insurance – Cory is looking into it for the club. Need a count on RAC members
Filing with Government – Geoff will look into it.
CW course in May – Tom
Christmas – Alex VE6WFD will organize.
Photos of shack and other things. – Tony talked about having information about their shacks could have a problem with confidentiality. Leave it up to the members themselves. Suggest we use QRZ.com instead of doing it ourselves.
Badges and hats: Tom talk to Mirage Laser about them
Fox Hunt: Geoff is looking into it.
Field Day: Riley, Richard, Kevin, Tom planning meeting soon
Activities: Steps for Life – Cory will call Rob
Cory playing with D-Star and digital stuff. Gary loaned him a hot spot
Allan: Gary loaned me a mobile radio and contacting some some people in Montana . Been on the CAM net.
Norm: Building a 2 meter antenna from a friend’s 11 meter antenna
On local repeater nets in Montana.
Richard: Got all the grounding and the antenna is up. Running a Mac so have software for ham radio working now. Map logger etc. FT-891. Working some FT8.
Tony: Installing 2M into the old Van. Been on HF worked PY5QW on the antenna. DX is happening. Oklahoma QSO party, worked 5 contacts. Checked into the BC northern net. Use FT8 as a beacon.
Geoff: runs the ARES net on VHF but that’s all he is doing right now. Still taking the Advanced course.
Alex: nothing happening. Still has to get his antennas up but that is going to take some time.
Tom: Radios being fixed and some DX being done.
Audit information from Geoff’s mother. Get it done.
MS walk for Southern Alberta Emergency Communication Guild – Mel VE6CU- Richard is going to volunteer. Ask for more people to volunteer. Send a note Mel VE6CU.
Please pay the donation directly to Tom VE6TRM and send out reminders.
Adjourned by Geoff at 21:10
Minutes the February 11th 2019 Meeting of SAARC
9 members present
Call to order 7:43
Motion to accept Jan minutes ..Accepted
Treasurer report N/A
Field Day report N/A
Repeater committee N/A
Activity's round table
Cory VE6COR Has a new antenna coming for now hes using a telescoping antenna next to his window with a wire hanging down in his condominium. Works 20 meters mostly
Brian VE6LAY Happy with my trap dipole antenna can hear very well on 20,40 and 80 meters. Made my first contact in Bothell Wa. on 40 meter contact was competing in the winter field days Jan 24.
Tony VE6ABO Has noise troubles he working on. Will be moving his HF rig into his van when things warm up. Still works the net
Norm VE6NFW No HF yet works VHF works the central border link net on 2 meters.
Tom VE6ARG Experimenting with balums ..did some shack clean up. Performed test comparing
Baofeng performance with a Yaesu hand held.
Geoff VE6LSK Works the ARES Alberta VHF net 2 meters on Sundays
Richard VE6PCO Getting used to his MFJ 969 working on getting a station set up..listens to the nets.
Kevin VE6KVV Got his ground rods in before the cold weather hit.Make hard VHF contacts.
Riley VE6WEY Listens to Cam nets.
Old Business QST Magazines to lend out.
New Business Looking in to RAC insurance
CW course planned for May
Need people to plan for this years Christmas function
Members are welcomed to send in photos of there stations and antenna set ups.
Looking into badges and hats.
Fox hunt plans
Field day volunteers Riley VE6WEY....Kevin VE6KVV....Richard VE6PCO...Brian VE6LAY
Up coming activities
Steps for life..May
Up coming event
Glacier Waterton Hamfest. July 9th
Just a reminder that the 85th Pre-Registration is officially open!!
Also a reminder to register with the Campground by the web or by calling Connie 406-226-4479
Motion for adjourn Tony VE6ABO 8:25pm
Meeting of SAARC held at Tom’s VE6ARG QTH Jan 14 2019
Called to order 7:33pm
Members present: 12 and 1 guest
Motion to accept minutes Tom VE6ARG
Treasurer's report: $xxxx.xx
Repeater club: Paid $100.00 for site rent.Still waiting for good weather to change the tower antenna
Field Day: No plans at this time
Geoff VE6LSX doing Sunday net
Blair VE6AGH Taking a break from doing Sunday Net.
Spencer VE6SXR Nothing to report
Ron Nothing to report just getting familiar with his radio
Rob VE6XMB Having fun making lots of contacts Did his first contact on 40 meters with Japan
Tom VE6TRM Working local Nets on 2 and 80 meters.. Cant get out on 20 Meters
Tony VE6ABO On 20 meters a lot.using his IC 2300
Alex VE6WFD Just moved into a new home no antenna yet.
Brian VE6LAY Had the high winds made my vertical antenna into a horizontal antenna .My son Chris did all the repair work now I have a trap dipole antenna over my roof with a vertical at 43 feet.
Norm VE6WFW On 2 meters a lot.
Austin VE6QBD On 2 meters a lot can't hit club repeater from his QTH Getting the feel of his new Yaesu FT-991A.Just set up his shack with a remote control for turning the heat on and a remote control for turning the electric fence off and on.
Wayne VE6WEK Working HF nets and trying to get 2 meters to work on simplex
Tom VE6ARG Making antennas for customers Playing with ft8 on low power Looks like 15 people will be writing there basic
New business: @ Toms QTH there QST Magazines from 1945 and up,members welcome to sign them out.
No Old business
Meeting ajourned at 8:05pm
Annual General Meeting held at Tom's VE6ARG QTH Jan 14, 2019
Meeting called to order 8:05pm by Blair Shaw - VE6AGH
The following new executive were elected for 2019
President Cory Martin - VE6COR
Vice president Tom Buchanan - VE6ARG
Secretary Brian Layton - VE6LAY
Treasurer Tom Martins - VE6TRM
Director Blair Shaw - VE6AGH
Director Alex Wilson - VE6WFD
Director Geoff Peterson -VE6LSX
A big thanks to last years executive for the great work they did.
No ballots to destroy
Motion to adjourn: Geoff Peterson VE6LSX 2nd by Brian VE6LAY @ 8:21pm
Minutes December 10th, 2018
7:32 called to order 6 Members
last minute's accepted
Treasurer report not present
Repeater committee no report
Field day no plans
New business Gary is looking into having a tower inspection done
Geoff Nothing on HF
Cory getting comfortable with his radio Taking the Advanced course
Norm has been active on 2 meters
Terry Installed a Panadapter on his 7410
Tom Happy with how the basic class is coming along .Working on CW key
Brian has a dipole antenna set up now with a vertical antenna at 38 feet now waiting for good propagation
Old business still looking for a meeting place
Christmas party no plans
Meeting adjourned 8:23 Motion Tom 2nd Terry
Meeting of SAARC held at Tom’s VE6ARG QTH November 12th, 2018
Called to order:
No plans at this time.
$x,xxx.xx New balance includes antenna rotator payment
Around the room members activity:
Got a great deal on an antenna tuner at the Calgary Swap Meet
Started advanced class
Went to Edmonton Swap Meet had a great time
Did morning net
Radio is always on 200-500 KHZ cw beacons
15 people taking basic 5 in advance
Went to Calgary Swap Meet
Made a cw keyer FM 900 hz Tone
Still working on getting a working antenna doing some short wave listening
Still waiting for his transceiver to get repaired
Was on the 2 meter Sunday net
Looking for a place to hold our meetings
Rob would like a round table after Wed. night net on 146.880
October 1st, 2018 Meeting Minutes
Call to Order:
Geoff VE6LSX 7:39
14 Club Members 5 Guest (In Basic Fall Class)
Tom VE6TRM reported $ x,xxx.28 in the bank and we have Hat Pins now $5.00 each
Waiting for good weather to do some battery maintenance and replace the antenna
No plans at this time.
Discussion on Contacts, Conditions and Nets:
Geoff Work some nets got Indy contacts
Ron Got some new Equipment
Tom B Works some Nets every night if he has a new antenna
The Basic course will be run beginning on October 25th
The Advanced course will be run beginning on November 7th
Wayne Runs the Wed night Net
Tom M Nothing to report
Renze Not on much but always listening some short wave work.
Richard Has a loop antenna
Terry 160 meter dipole antenna up and his Hex is working great
Ron Mobile station interested in marine communication
Riley Listens on his Hand Held Radio had a US license taking basic class
Blair Sunday morning Net
Cory HF rig Kenwood window sill antenna works 80 to 60 meters
on 40 meters the most got his VHF amp
Rob made an arctic circle contact on 20 Meters Chat on round table.
Norm 2 meter antenna ready to go up works a long wire. Rig out for
Tom Jr. Some 2 meters checks in on nets.
Brian Got a 30 foot high mask dipole antenna with traps ready to put
up Have my 2 meter Mobile on all the time Burmis Repeater
Looking for a new meeting place
On meeting night's club member's will try to be on 146.880 club frequency
Next corn roast will be Sep. 14/19
Blair is looking for a place to store 2 club generators - Tom Jr. offered to store one
Nov. 3rd Edmonton QCWA
Nov 10th Calgary CARA
Tom VE6ARG moves to Adjourn 8:30pm 2nd by Terry VA6TMA
Nov. 12, 2018 at 19:30
September 1st meeting minutes
We had about 30 people for the annual Corn Roast at Renze and Annettas place.The food was amazing, was a fun time for all.Thanks Renze and Annetta for all your hard work and making this possible
12 Members attended meeting
Call to Order:
Tom Buchanan VE6ARG , at 7:00 PM
Treasurer’s Report: Not Available
Field Day Committee:
Was a success lots of contacts with stations. Some rain and hot. Big Thanks to Renze and Annette Damm for hosting us this year. Need more help next year.
Blair and Spencer are making plans to fix the antenna and replace the cable if necessary, This Month.
Blair sold the Antenna Rotor to a club member for $200.00
Tom will be starting the next class Oct 25/18 every Thur. night at 19.00 hrs till
till Jan 2019.
Will start on Oct 31/18 Wed nights19:00 hrs until you're ready to take the test.
Details will be sent to registered students after Registration
Brian Layton VE6LAY new interim Secretary
Next meeting will be on October the 1st because Thanksgiving is on the 8th
Tom VE6ARG moves to Adjourn 7:20pm 2nd by Terry VA6TMA
There was no meeting in August 2018
SAARC Minutes – July 9, 2018
Call to order: 7:40 MDT
Minutes from the previous meeting are on the website
• Summer meetings
• CAM antenna
• Breakfast Club
Treasurers Report: XXXX.xx as of May 31
• Spenser will install the antenna
• Measure cable condition with antenna analyzer
• We need a gin pole to do this
• We are going to try for September when it isn’t so hot
Field Day Committee:
• Field Day was a success
• We need more people to help though
• Big thanks to Roy and Louise for the dinner on Saturday night
• We need a bigger committee
• Roy submitted the receipt (109.47)
Discussion on Nets: Many comments on what people are doing
• Corn Roast at Renze and Annetta’s place on September 1, 2018
o Check website for update
• Check our website to keep up to date. There is a swap and shop on it too
• Breakfast – Saturday 9am at Mediterranean Mazza Bar
• Summer meetings – suggested no meeting in August and hold it Sept. 1 at Renze’s VE6DC
• October meeting will be on October 1st, 2018 because October 8th is Thanksgiving
• Geoff suggested that Tom be reimbursed for meals at Field Day
o Special thanks to Maggie for doing meals at Field Day
o Dave moved , Terry seconded – carried
o Suggested to do the same for next year and that it be better planned
• Pieter VE6PLV has resigned as secretary and a letter will be sent extending thanks for his service
• The club appointed an interim secretary, Brian Layton VE6LAY. Brian accepted
• Tom VE6ARG agreed to run the short meeting on September 1st at the Corn Roast
Minutes May 14, 2018
Call to Order: 7:35 MDT
Adoption of minutes from last meeting: Tom VE6TRM 2nd Tommy VE6TJB
Additions to the agenda: - Would like to have numbers of everyone who reads the minutes on website
Treasurer’s report: Tom VE6TRM May 1st balance xxxx.xx
• Repeater committee:
o Submitted Financial report
o Tried to get someone to climb tower
o Suggest signing a contract with Mrs. Rowes children
• Field day committee: 2018 Field Day will be held at Coyote Flats Pioneer Village
o Roy needs a count of the number of people going out for lunch on Saturday
o Didn’t call RAC to find out about insurance
o Geoff and Tom going out to Coyote Flats to check on noise
• Steps for Life May 5th went very well. We had a great time. Rob VE6XMB was net control (Red Leader) It was suggested having a leader and follower to the group. Suggested 2 people at the control points.
• Calgary Flea Market: It was great. Good turnout from Lethbridge Club
• Edmonton Flea Market: Blair went and brought back a cold
• Planning a Hamfest at Coyote Flats: tabled till next year. Plan to do one every two years.
• Corn Roast September 1: Want to see everyone there. It is a great time.
• Reminder to check our website and participate/contribute: 10/11 people went to website and 8/11 checked the minutes.
• Club Insurance: (Geoff) 4/11 are not RAC members Geoff will check with RAC to see about the insurance for the repeater.
• Moving Saturday morning breakfast to Mediterranean Mazza Bar downtown Lethbridge.
• Antenna Assistance List:
o Tom VE6TRM needs help with reflector on beam
o Perry VE6NX needs help with rotator (club has a rotator. Blair is going to check)
o Rob VE6XMB needs a power pole to be put up
• Suggestion that September meeting be held at Renze’s Corn Roast on September 1st.
• We need someone to look into doing the Christmas party this year.
Motion to adjourn: 8:51 PM MDT
Welcome to the minutes of the
Southern Alberta Amateur Radio Club